The National Environmental Health Centre (NEH) has issued a warning to people who have lived near a leaking gas leak on Mossy Oak property in the north west of Sydney.
Key points:Residents of Mossy Wood properties were told they could expect a “significant impact” on their safety and wellbeing if gas leaks are left untreatedThe NEH warned residents to remain vigilant around the gas leak siteThe leak is now at an estimated 100 tonnes of methane.
Residents of a house at Mossywood have been advised to stay at home if gas is leaking into their homes.
The NEI advised residents to stay away from the gas leaking from a house on Mossier Drive.
Gas is leaking from the property, which was previously used for a local food business.
Residents living in a nearby property have been warned to stay inside and stay vigilant about the gas leaks.
A spokesperson for the NEH said it was “aware of the leak and it is being assessed”.
“While it is too early to tell whether the leak will cause significant impact to the community, residents should take all precautions to minimise their risk,” they said.
“The leak could be very dangerous, and there could be gas damage, so it is important that residents remain vigilant.”
The leak was discovered around 11:30pm on Wednesday and has since been contained.
The leak site is a large area with many roads and pathways, and many homes are in an open state.
Residents are urged to take care to avoid the gas, and to stay off the roads and the streets.
The State Government said the gas had been contained, and that residents should remain at home and to keep their windows and doors closed.
The gas has also been contained by a nearby farmer who has installed a gas detection system.
Topics:gas-explosion-disaster,environment,neighbourhood-and-society,disasters-and/or-accidents,safety-education,gas-industry,sydney-2000More stories from New South Wales